One of my focus foods from InsideTracker is lentils, and in an effort to actually start eating them, I decided to try to copy Whole Heart Provisions and create a bowl with crispy lentils. According to my favorite vampires, a cup of cooked lentils is a good source of iron and folate as well as protein. Put lentils, spices, and liquid in a rice cooker for a quick and hearty meal.
While not as good as Whole Heart, this meal was still tasty, and great for leftovers (read: a week of lunches). The only downside is that it took a bit of prep, and 4 pans total.
Pesto Farro, Chicken, & Veggie Bowl with Crispy Lentils
Serves: 4 hungry people | Prep time: 4-8 hours (chicken); Cook time: 45 minutes
- 1 lb chicken (I use tenders)
- 4 cups chicken stock (or water)
- 2 cups Brussels Sprouts (cut in half)
- 5 cups kale (cut into bite sized pieces)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup mushrooms (cut in half)
- White onion (chopped)
- Olive Oil
- ½ cup dried lentils
- ½ tbsp. sunflower oil
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. Cumin
- Lemon pepper
- 1 cup farro
- Place chicken and 1 cup chicken stock (or water) in crockpot for 4-6 hours (high) or 6-8 hours (low)
- Remove chicken and shred with a fork or whisk
- Rinse lentils, then place in a pot. Add water until about 1 1/2 inches above the lentils. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook 18-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400F.
- Drain lentils, and then place back in the pot. Toss with remaining ingredients.
- Line large baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Spread lentils on top in a single layer. Bake for 12 minutes.
- Cook farro according to package in lentil pot.
- While farro is cooking and lentils are roasting, chop up Brussels Sprouts and place in bowl with cherry tomatoes. Toss in olive oil and lemon pepper. Spread out on baking sheet.
- When 12 minutes have passed on the lentils, stir, and then bake for another 15 minutes, until fully crunchy. Add Brussels and cherry tomatoes to oven and let cook during the last 15 minutes of the lentils.
- While lentils, Brussels, and cherry tomatoes are cooking for their last 15 minutes, saute onions in olive oil and garlic. Add kale and mushrooms. Toss in chicken, farro, and broiled vegetables.
- Top with lentils and pesto. (Not a pesto fan? It’s great without it.)
This dish is good for Glucose, cholesterol, DHEAS, and Iron.
Lentils recipe from Food. Fitness. Fresh Air.